Aging in Place Speaker Series
The Mar Vista Community Council Aging in Place Committee brings a wide range of expertise related to aging – starting with seniors themselves, professionals in services and non-profits, those providing care to senior family members and those who are planning for our own senior years. Each month we host a guest speaker at our meeting. The minutes are detailed with a great deal of information and links and posted here as a community resource.
Ms. Laura Trejo, General Manager of Los Angeles Dept. of Aging
- overview of department programs and services. (12/18/14)
Marlene Grossman and Lauri Crane of Move LA
- Measure R2 and how it relates to aging (1/15/15)
Rachel Caraviello, VP, Programs and Services, Affordable Living for the Aging
- Senior roommate and home sharing (2/19/15)
Joe Barnes, California Field Organizer with Compassion and Choices
- proposed death with dignity bill (3/19/15)
Carol Oike Kitabayashi, Executive Director of Westchester Playa Village
- The Village concept of volunteer services to seniors (4/16/15)
Senior Scam Stopper Seminar
- presentations by Senior Scams Stopper Theater Troupe, California Public Utilities Commission, Contractors State Licensing Board, and State Controller’s office (5/21/15)
- Choices and options, Advanced Health Care Directive, POLST (6/18/15)
Dr. Anat Louis, LA Dept. of Aging's Program Development Director
- overview of programs offered (7/16/15)
Tricia Keane, Director of Land Use and Planning from the office of Councilmember Mike Bonin
– the role the Metro plays in senior affordable housing (8/20/15)
Barry A. Sikov, Life & Health Plan Advisor
– The A, B, C, & D's of Medicare - How to Migrate from the Pre-65 Health Plans, including Employer Sponsored Plans, to the wonderful world of Medicare
Birgitta Kastenbaum of Bridging Transitions
- Exploring options for final arrangements and after death care
Frances Sotcher of Unity Hearth
on Intentional Living Communities (Co-Housing)
presented options on how to hire a caregiver and get the tools to hire a caregiver on your own, through an agency, or a list service.
Sheila Moore, Sr. Director of Comprehensive Older Adult Services Jewish Family Services
– "How to make the most of your trip back home"
Lilly Ortiz of LA Metro on their On the Move Riders Club
Monica Moore of UCLA Easton Center for Alzheimer’s Disease Research
Affordable Living for the Aging
roommates in Mar Vista to lead a discussion group, Q&A about their program
Our Time Bank
- Christy Wilhelmi and Jim Tate - presentation
Wise and Healthy Aging
- Molly Davies, Vice President Elder Abuse Prevention and Ombudsman Services
, as the representative who will conduct the presentation that evening.
Charles Guinn, Certified Aging in Place Specialist
on reverse mortgages - educating homeowners in the various uses of the reverse mortgage, when not to get one, and answer any questions that we may have. Handout with reverse mortgage info.
, Westside Area Representative for Mayor Eric Garcetti gave a brief overview with Q&A on Age-FriendlyCityInitiative: PurposefulAgingLA
Joe Barnes, Compassion & Choices – understanding the new CA End of Life Option Act
minutes. PDF of presentation posted here.
Officer Juan Galvan -CHP presentation
on Age Well Drive Smart
. The program is designed to reduce accidents and pedestrian deaths and injuries experienced by older Californians and to increase seniors’ alternate transportation options when driving is no longer an option.
Carol Hahn, MSN, RN, RYT, CPT, CDP - tools that support making the journey with a loved one with dementia
as positive as possible; Wellness and Fitness Nurse
- helping people over 50 increase their quality of life. Certified Dementia Practitioner
The Gift of a Downsized Home
Guest presenter Robin Gurse Dennis of Got Clutter?
guides you in how to have “the downsizing conversation” with your favorite senior. Robin addresses the impact on family members faced with years of physical possessions, suggests ways to prepare for the conversation, and provides an action plan you can personalize for your specific needs.
Senior Talk With Mike Bonin - CD11 Community Meeting Hosted by the Mar Vista Community Council Aging in Place Committee and Windward School on Nov., 22, 2016. Notes summarizing the meeting posted here.
Meetings (Agendas, Minutes, Documents)
→ View Calendar
If you would like to be notified of our meetings and receive agendas via email, click here to sign up for each of the committees you’re interested in - as well as the General Updates list.